It is possible to run a dishwasher on board your narrowboat providing you can generate sufficient power; either by shoreline, inverter or generator. Space, power generation & water consumption will be the main factors in deciding if a dishwasher can be accommodated on-board a narrow boat.
Dishwashers… Options On-Board
A dishwasher comes in 3 sizes: Standard; Slim-line; Compact:
|Size WxHxD (cms)||Capacity||Energy (watts)||Water Usage *
|Standard||60 x 85 x 60||130 items||1900 – 2200||11|
|Slim Line||45 x 85 x 60||90 items||1900 – 2200||11|
|Compact||55 x 50 x 45||40-60 items||2400||6.5|
* Litres per standard cycle
- Energy consumption on a canal boat with no shoreline power is a major consideration.
- There is no energy saving by opting for a smaller model, the only advantage is the space savings.
- A standard wash cycle may take over 2 hours to complete which is a consideration for using on a canal boat if you are not on shoreline power.
- Many models will have an eco-programme which will reduce the water and energy consumption but increase the cycle running time, which is not ideal on a canal boat without shoreline power.
- Many dishwashers also offer a half load option for a quicker solution.
Not what you're looking for? Try some other items within this chapter...